A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Mayor Muriel Bowser will travel to Cleveland tomorrow to attend the Republican National Convention and make a local media tour to promote D.C. statehood, NBC4 reports. The trip comes days after lawmakers approved language for a November referendum that would ask residents about their support of full voting representation for the District.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A National Park Service employee came across a dead body in Southeast on Friday evening. [WUSA9]
- A 20-year old man was killed and two others injured in a shooting that occurred on Friday night. [NBC4]
- A 70-year-old inmate died at D.C. Jail last week as advocates express concern about the heat. [NBC4]
- A transformer fire at 14th and V streets NW cut power for thousands of residents this weekend. [Borderstan]
- The District could get a new bridge connecting the Kennedy Center to surrounding walkways. [WAMU]
- Data: D.C. nightlife venues have continued opening farther east in the city since 2010. [Washingtonian]
- School’s not out for summer for many of the District’s youth, across both educational sectors. [Post]
- The Post editorial board praises Bowser for recently releasing police body-worn camera footage. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- The Animals Issue: Satisfy your cravings for creature features and say “aw” at photos in our latest edition.
- Zoo Bites: The owners of Duke’s Grocery have quietly opened Duke’s Counter outside the National Zoo.
- Probation Plea: Jeff Thompson, the architect of the 2010 Vince Gray shadow campaign, seeks probation.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The feds don’t want Jeff Thompson to do jail time—and neither does he! [LL]
- Trans activists are unhappy with MPD’s timing on news about the murder of a trans woman. [DCist]
- UDC tries to woo top students with scholarships. [WBJ]
- Post ed board is happy with Muriel Bowser‘s release of police body cam footage. [Post]
- District Republicans head to the convention. [WAMU]
- Talking Council on Kojo [WAMU]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- In his one-man show, longtime D.C. actor Ted van Griethuysen plays all the parts in Hamlet. [Post]
- Listen to a ripping new tune from D.C.’s Birth (Defects). [WCP]
- Despite what it sounds like, D.C. band Color Palette isn’t an 80’s band. [Bandwidth]
- How much D.C.’s nightlife has grown since 2010, in one map. [Washingtonian]
- In the Hirshhorn’s new permanent collection, history looms large. [WCP]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Laura Hayes (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Get work done at Mulebone for free. [DCist]
- Chef Alex Levin watches ‘The Great British Baking Show’ with the Post. [Post]
- A guide to summer’s crap beer. [Lucky Peach]
- Get ready for a triple threat distillery in Falls Church. [NoVa Mag]
- Freak out, because you’re probably eating fake sushi. [Thrillist]