Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
It’s gonna be a scorcher. Capital Weather Gang reports that today’s “stifling heat” could set a new record for the hottest July 25 since 1930. (You can view a map of cooling centers, pools, and spray parks here.)
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C. police are investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred on Saturday. [NBC4, Post]
- A man died after crashing a car into a tree in the District while fleeing law enforcement. [WJLA]
- Congress Heights residents protested against a developer in Northwest over the weekend. [City Desk]
- An assault against a transgender woman at the Giant on H Street NE has been ruled a hate crime. [Metro Weekly]
- Upwards of 50 dirt bikes and ATVs drove along Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE yesterday. [FOX5]
- Bernie Sanders supporters marched downtown Sunday after last week’s DNC leak. [WUSA9]
- Charizard, the 2-year-old iguana, was adopted from D.C.’s humane society on Saturday. [NBC4]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Dance, Dance?: The dissolution of the D.C. Trust is causing concern at Dance Place, a nonprofit.
- Mexican-French Cocktail: Radiator in Logan Circle serves one called “Pedro Does Provence.”
- Artlington: “Strange Landscapes,” an exhibit at the Arlington Arts Center, gets stars for creativity.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, byWill Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Colby King: Muriel Bowser ditched D.C.’s problems to hand out candy in Cleveland. [Post]
- Figuring out how much to pay for paratransit. [WAMU]
- Dance program faces a grim future after D.C. Trust demise. [WCP]
- D.C. United picks a stadium contractor. [WBJ]
- Phil Mendelson on The Politics Hour. [WAMU]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- This year, Fringe held shows at Gallaudet University, which some troupes say was an “unfair burden.” [Post]
- Listen to the ripping debut album from D.C.’s Pure Disgust. [WCP]
- And listen to the new Greenland album. [DC Music Download]
- And another new listen: The ’80s-sounding debut from electronic duo Technophobia. [WCP]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Laura Hayes (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- No surprise here, Hazel’s Fire Panda hot sauce is vanishing. [Post]
- Chefs from Hong Kong oversee the menu at Da Hong Pao. [Washingtonian]
- For god’s sakes, put on pants when you dine. [Post]
- Frosé is the summer booze trend that keeps on marching. [Eater]
- All your questions about Jewish desserts, answered. [Lucky Peach]