We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Things not to do on social media when you’re in charge of your restaurant’s account: Post dick pics, make racist or sexist comments, joke about drugs, or disparage homeless people. These are all things local eateries have done in recent months, Laura Hayes reports.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A Metro train derailed this morning near the East Falls Church station in Virginia. [Post, FOX5, WTOP]
- On July 5, two Metro trains almost collided because an operator was pining to go on break. [WAMU, Post]
- The District won a suit against Maryland parents who illegally sent their kids to D.C. public schools. [Post]
- At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange snags the top job at the D.C. Chamber of Commerce. [WBJ]
- D.C. police are still investigating a fatal stabbing that happened a year ago near their headquarters. [FOX5]
- Authorities have dropped the charges against the man accused of killing D.C. intern Chandra Levy. [NPR]
- The end of this (terrible, makes-you-want-to-take-at-least-three-showers-a-day) heat wave is in sight. [Post]
- A handy D.C. guide to Pokemon Go that will prepare you for this weekend’s activities. [Washingtonian]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Fraud and Murder: How did Osama Al-Etari become the “King of Ashburn,” and why was he murdered?
- Bye, Bye, Books: The World Bank’s InfoShop bookstore will shutter this fall, according to the organization.
- Midnight Trains to Nowhere: Metro wants the public to weigh in on its proposal to end late-night service.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- David Grosso and Elissa Silverman on The Politics Hour [WAMU]
- Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton looks to get retail around feds’ NoMa office. [WBJ]
- Muriel Bowser talks gay rights at the convention. [Blade]
- It’s zoning time. [GGW]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- Arena Stage co-founder and “matriarch of the regional theater movement” Zelda Fichandler dies at 91. [Post]
- Listen to the new Foozle album. [WCP]
- Watch a new music video for experimental composer James Wolf. [Bandwidth]
- If you’re into this thing: The Definitive D.C. guide to Pokemon Go. [Washingtonian]
- Meet HRCHY C.I.A., the women behind some of D.C.’s most popular parties. [WCP]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Laura Hayes (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The restaurant industry starts to weigh in on Metro’s proposed changes. [Eater]
- Behold, a new breakfast food called “B-holes.” [Washingtonian]
- These are some of D.C.’s most tempting burgers. [Thrillist]
- Dining advice for the Obamas [DC Refined]
- The Post digs up some forgotten gems. [Post]