A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why are so many D.C. museums—from the Renwick to the Hirshhorn to the Building Museum—putting up splashy exhibits designed for max exposure on social media? Do these shows do any good for art? In this week’s City Paper cover story, Kriston Cappsexplores whether D.C. museums are having a little too much fun.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- MPD Chief Cathy Lanier’s successor will have to carefully manage police-community relations. [Post]
- Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld: “The goal here is to be as boring as possible.” [AP]
- Storms cut power and caused damage to homes last night, including blowing a roof off a building. [NBC4]
- Report: Residents of zip code 20010 spend the largest share of their income on rent in the city. [UrbanTurf]
- Councilmember Mary Cheh and transportation experts are visiting dangerous intersections again. [WTOP]
- A pedestrian was struck and killed around 2:30 a.m. Thursday between near 9th and P streets NW. [WTOP]
- When the Walter Reed development is finally finished, it likely won’t have a hoped-for Wegmans. [WBJ]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- A Parting of Ways: Yona chef Jonah Kim and restaurateur Mike Isabella have ended their partnership.
- Bless These Houses: More than 80 townhomes are planned for the St. Joseph’s seminary site in Northeast.
- Lambrusco: During Restaurant Week, the Partisan is serving a wine with a reputation.
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- Kokayi talks about his craft. [Bandcamp]
- This weekend: Find your drag queen persona at a free workshop. [Borderstan]
- Listen to an ambient new tape from Tristan Welch, Washington, D.C. [Decoder]
- At LiveLIVE’s “Back-to-School” concert this weekend, catch D.C.’s new crop of rising rap stars. [WCP]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Laura Hayes (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The cafe at the African American museum has a new name. [Post]
- Here’s what to order at Casolare. [Zagat]
- Where to find crab feasts. [Eater]
- Bring your dog to happy hour here. [DC Refined]
- Wonder what your favorite Olympians eat? [Thrillist]