Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
This week in the wacky world of D.C. politico speak:
- “Landscaping?” —Mayor Muriel Bowser reacts incredulously to a question about whether D.C. would do any beautification work around Nationals Park before the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. [WBJ]
- “The first time we discussed this stadium, I remember I sat down with George Washington and Pierre L’Enfant.” —Jack Evans, the D.C. Council’s longest-serving member, cracks jokes at the grand opening of Audi Field, D.C. United’s new stadium in Southwest. [Post]
- “The plastic straws are a disaster. They’re everywhere! When I was growing up, we didn’t have them. They were made out of paper.” —Evans discussing his new legislation to ban non-compostable straws and stirrers. [WCP]
- “Nuanced deliberation was not afforded through the ballot initiative process.” —Ward 4 Councilmember Brandon Todd on a potential repeal of Initiative 77, which he supports along with a majority of the Council. [Twitter, WCP]
- “The vote is irrelevant.” —Ward 8 Councilmember Trayon White in a Facebook comment on Initiative 77, which District voters approved 55 to 45 percent. [Twitter]
- “Somebody said that this doesn’t do anything. I beg to differ.” —Trayon White on his watered-down bill to require Bowser to provide data on D.C. General’s closure instead of delaying the closure. [WCP]
- “Long before I was a councilman I was a young man with cornrows, frequently stopped by police. I knew it was wrong, and I knew there was nothing I could do about it.” —At-Large Councilmember Robert White at a D.C. Council roundtable on policing in Wards 7 and 8. [Twitter]
- “This is not about prohibiting music, but there is a proper balance to be struck between how loud one is, and the ability to make noise.” —Council Chairman Phil Mendelson after withdrawing emergency regulations on amplified noise. [WCP]
- “Circle of life and all that.” —Ward 1 Councilmember Brianne Nadeau commenting on a dead deer found at the Barry Farm public housing complex during a hearing on the redevelopment of the property. [Twitter]