We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
T U E S D A Y
When St. Elizabeths Hospital opened in 1855, its Scottish baronial architecture and sprawling wooded grounds were designed to convey the ambience of a college campus rather than an insane asylum. Recently, the now-decrepit facility—still using steam pipes that date back to the Civil War—has come to symbolize another fallen institution; last winter, patients in unheated quarters wore overcoats to bed. Part of the Washington History Documentary Series, the 1988 film Asylum traces the history of the southeast D.C. landmark. At 3 & 7 p.m. today and at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Tenley-Friendship Library, Wisconsin Ave. & Albemarle St. NW. FREE. (202) 727-1389. (Eddie Dean)