24

SATURDAY

Seymour Tullock opened a grand resort hotel on a verdant stretch in Forest Glen, Md., back in 1887. No one came. After a brief turn as a casino, Tullock’s hotel became the main house of a girls’ finishing school, National Park Seminary. Thanks to the school’s beneficent administration, the campus hosted a turn-of-the-century building boomlet during which a raft of fanciful sorority clubhouses—their designs chosen by the girls from a volume of house plans acquired at the seminal 1893 World’s Columbian Exhibition in Chicago—were sprinkled around campus. Among other structures, the girls added an elaborate triple-tiered pagoda with bamboo trim, a Swiss chalet, and a Dutch windmill. A hundred years later, Save Our Seminary offers a monthly National Park Seminary Historic District walking tour winding along the network of bridges connecting the girls’ quirky homes. Meet at 1 p.m. at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center Annex, in the parking lot on Linden Lane near Woodstock Avenue, Forest Glen. $5 (suggested donation). (301) 495-9079. (Jessica Dawson)

More from WCP