Do you know D.C.?
Get our free newsletter to stay in the know about local D.C.
Reading the accusations against Chris Corker (Cheap Seats, “Illegal Batter,” 4/26) makes me wonder if his name will go down in criminal history next to Dillinger and Capone. Good grief, the lad was—gasp!—baking marijuana brownies!
One can only wonder what hysteria inspires such fear and loathing in school, police, and court officials who are taking the matter seriously. Could Spotsylvania County’s William F. Neely’s zeal to convict another marijuana “criminal” be provoked by notions like:
* “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana can cause white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”
* “The primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races”;
* “Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows and look at a white woman twice” (Hearst newspapers nationwide, 1934);
* “Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality and death”;
* “Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind”;
* “[Smoking] one [marijuana] cigarette might develop a homicidal mania, probably to kill his brother”?
Or has the state of Virginia invented some new lies to justify five- to 30-year prison sentences for marijuana “felonies”?
The cops and courts in Fredericksburg must not have any rapes, armed robberies, kidnappings, child molestings, or murders to deal with, since they have so much time to waste on inane marijuana trials.