A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Monday, the Washington Post tepidly endorsed incumbent Yvette Alexander for the Ward 7 D.C. Council seat, writing that, “unlike with [ex-Mayor Vincent] Gray, there are no doubts about her integrity.” Gray’s campaign was quick to retort, criticizing Alexander and the Post. The latter “has double[d] down on perpetuating injustice,” it said.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Two women were among five people shot and wounded on Monday. One was in critical condition. [Post]
- Police arrested a man who allegedly attempted to rape a woman on a Metro train. [NBC4, FOX5, WUSA9]
- Advocates for LGBTQ youth are frustrated by a lack of dedicated funding for shelter beds. [Metro Weekly]
- The Fort Reno summer concert series is happening this year after all. Events start in July. [WCP, WAMU]
- After Adams Morgan residents complained, the SunTrust Plaza development will get changes. [Borderstan]
- May has been a rough month, weather-wise. Looking for something to blame? Aim at the jet stream. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Summer Guide: Memorial Day weekend is just a few days away. Start making your summer plans STAT.
- Farewell, Chartwells: D.C. Public Schools has selected new vendors for providing food next school year.
- Fried Chicken Ice Cream: And duck fat doughnuts—at The Pig on 14th Street NW, now through May 25.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- The Washington Post endorses Yvette Alexander in Ward 7… [Post]
- …and Vince Gray isn’t happy about it. [LL]
- DCPS replaces its troubled food contractor. [WCP]
- Muriel Bowser gives a Jeopardy! clue. [Facebook]
- Talking budget autonomy on WAMU. [WAMU]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Listen to a new Kill Lincoln song. [For the Love of Punk]
- I.M.P.’s Audrey Fix Schaefer and Maggie Cannon discusses how they bring crowds to some of D.C.’s biggest venues. [Femchord]
- Fort Reno will happen this summer! [WCP]
- Washington Ballet announces its new season. [Post]
- Listen to a new Birth (Defects) song. [Impose]
- Landmark’s lawsuit against Regal will be put to the test when they open the new X-Men movie at its Atlantic Plumbing theater. [Washingtonian]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C.’s best rooftop bars [Thrillist]
- Check out Alfie’s chef Alex McCoy‘s Lucky Buns burger menu. [Burger Days]
- The great fall of Chinatown restaurants [Washingtonian]
- Nine D.C. dining secrets [Zagat]
- Michelle Obama dines at Ottoman Taverna. [Post]
- Brine team recaps their first year. [Eater]